5 tips to prevent “cracked teeth “
While cracked teeth are not completely preventable, you can take some steps to make your teeth less susceptible to cracks.
- Don’t chew on hard objects such as ice, unpopped popcorn kernels or pens.
- Don’t clench or grind your teeth.
- If you clench or grind your teeth while you sleep ( bruxism ), talk to your dentist about getting a retainer or other mouthguard to protect your teeth.
- Wear a mouthguard or protective mask when playing contact sports.
- Treat tooth problems like replacing missing teeth in the mouth or getting a decayed tooth filled immediately. The increased chewing load on some teeth can cause them to crack.